Thursday 24 September 2015

My Good Neighbors

I took an evening stroll to buy food at this shabby, run down street-side food shop. Today was the minor Eid, the day of the animal slaughter as part of Abrahamic ritual. I am not fond of this day at all. Anyways, I walked in to the shop. There are three cooks that work there in shifts: the head cook, the one that looks younger than the head but older than the other one (I call him the middle cook), and then the chubby young cook.
This time it was the chubby cook on duty. He was standing behind the high table that display their warm food to the customers, and he greeted me. I had not stayed here for that long, but the three cooks have warmed up to me and we often exchange some witty banter. I grinned wide and asked him if he was selling lamb curries today as part of Eid. He shook his head and said, "Just chicken and eggs today!" So I ordered two take away packs, and walked to a small home-grocery store next to the shop.



This grocery store is just a 3 x 3 space filled with everything you need for daily life, from shampoo, water, snacks, rice, anything. The owner is this couple who has two small daughters. When I went there to buy water, the lady was carrying the youngest girl, perhaps two year old, on her arms. The names of the daughters always skip me, to my embarrassment! She was having fever, the mom said. I put my hand over her forehead, and wiped traces of tears from the corner of her right eye. Poor little girl, she had been crying so profusely, mom said. But that was what I have noticed from this lady. She has a very calm and happy vibe whenever I came there and talked to her. Small talks nonetheless, but I could feel her demeanor was just pleasant. The husband too. Once he asked me if the price of a can of soda I bought was too expensive. Strange, I thought. As if he was worried I would suffer from his pricing and wanted to cut the price out of sympathy. I laughed and told him I didn't usually buy canned soda so I wouldn't know. I gave the toddler a small peck on the cheek, wished her a speedy recovery and went back to the food shop to pick up my take away.

The chubby cook counted how much I bought, and I paid. He was occupied with frying some fritters and waved good bye hastily. As I turned on my motorbike, I saw a man at the back of the shop, smiling at a mother hen playing with her small chicks. I thought that was so beautiful. People who treat and receive life with contentment and generosity.

These are the things I won't be able to find had I gone shopping for food and water at a brightly lit supermarket with uniformed workers. But ah, the price we'd pay for convenience!

No comments:

Post a Comment