Friday 21 August 2015

Almost Home

I lied awake last night,
Remembering the rims of your lips.
Feeling pained that I am not with you.

Sometimes I wonder
If you could ever do me harm.
If,
Ever,
Your temper turns your words
Like a razor-sharp blade
A thousand cuts against my skin,
Or if your tunes are always as sweet as a mandolin.

Sometimes I know,
These questions are echoes from the past.
And that I may never know
How your seasons change.
Sometimes I wonder,
If you carry me within
Even when I'm gone.

Today, like many other days
I walked. Long, languid steps.
And thoughts of you came by.
A wise man once said,
"Tenderly,  I now touch all things,
knowing one day we will part."

I realized,
I never promised you a rose garden.
We never promised each other anything.

But I want you to know,
The thought of being with you
Is as close as I could feel
Of coming home.


No comments:

Post a Comment